UCA-Cambridge Trust Scholarship Programme for Young Scholars
Academic Year 2019-2020
The University of Central Asia (UCA) in partnership with the Cambridge Trust is pleased to announce scholarship opportunities for doctoral study at the University of Cambridge, United Kingdom.
The scholarships are for students wishing to pursue doctoral studies only in the following fields: Computer Science, Engineering, Media and Communications, Business Management or Economics. The fields reflect some of the majors in undergraduate programme offered by UCA’s School of Arts and Sciences.
Applicants from Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan are strongly encouraged to apply. Students from Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan and northern Pakistan are also eligible. Applicants must meet UCA’s eligibility benchmarks, and admission criteria to the University of Cambridge.
The scholarships are part of UCA’s ongoing Central Asian Faculty Development Programme (CAFDP) designed to ensure that scholars from the region are strongly represented in UCA’s faculty. Scholarship recipients will be required to work for four years at the University of Central Asia, after the completion of their studies at the University of Cambridge.
This partnership between UCA and the Cambridge Trust builds on the quality and standing of both UCA and the University of Cambridge, to enhance the academic quality of UCA’s future faculty.
UCA is Central Asia’s sole regional university with fully-residential campuses in Naryn, Kyrgyzstan, Khorog, Tajikistan, and Tekeli, Kazakhstan with state-of-the art facilities, and with generous support for faculty to engage in research.
Interested students are invited to submit their online application
and required documents to UCA by October 31st 2018
. The final deadline for UCA shortlisted applicants for admissions to the University of Cambridge is December 5th 2018/January 3rd 2019
depending on the field of application via their online portal. For further information please contact: email@example.com
. Early enquiries are welcome.
The scholarship when confirmed covers the university tuition fees paid directly to the university and an annual single person's stipend. Please note the scholarship does not provide any support or funding for any dependents or family members.
Eligibility Criteria and Application Process
1. UCA’s Eligibility Criteria
All applicants will first be required to meet the eligibility criteria that includes:
- Citizens of Kazakhstan, the Kyrgyz Republic, and Tajikistan are strongly encouraged to apply. Students from Afghanistan, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan and northern Pakistan are also eligible.
- Higher education degree with excellent academic records from a recognised university
- Interest in a PhD programme in fields reflecting UCA academic listed priorities
- Interest in a career within academia, including research and teaching
- Demonstrated competency in chosen discipline
- Excellent English language skills: IELTS score of 7.5 (with a minimum of 7.0 in each individual component) or TOEFL score of 110 (with 25 in each element)
- GRE General Test scores for Economics programmes (not required if the applicant has a degree from a UK institution). GMAT tests are not accepted.
2. Documentation required for UCA
- Curriculum Vitae/Resume (3 pages maximum)
- A copy of your picture page on your passport
- Academic Transcripts and Diplomas
- Personal Statement outlining your short and long-term career goals, field of study and research interests, reason for applying to the CAFDP, and what makes you a good candidate for CAFDP (3 pages maximum).
- A short research PhD Proposal (3 pages maximum)
Please note, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview before November 3rd 2018. Only selected candidates will then be invited to submit a full online application by December 5th 2018/January 3rd 2019 to the University of Cambridge.
The University of Central Asia reserves the right not to consider applications which are not complete by the due date.
For more information, please email Dr Salim Sumar, Head of the Central Asian Faculty Development Programme at firstname.lastname@example.org